By Hoyle Leigh
Genes, Memes, tradition, and psychological affliction: towards an Integrative Model
What produces psychological disease: genes, atmosphere, either, neither? The query has been requested in numerous types, and solutions debated, for lots of centuries. in keeping with a groundbreaking new publication, the reply are available in memes—replicable devices of knowledge linking genes and atmosphere within the reminiscence and in culture—whose results on person mind improvement should be benign or poisonous.
The newest paintings from pioneering psychiatrist Hoyle Leigh, Genes, Memes, tradition, and psychological Illness reconceptualizes psychological problems as items of demanding gene x meme interactions, and introduces a biopsychosocial template for meme-based analysis and remedy. a variety of healing modalities, either broad-spectrum (e.g., meditation) and particular (e.g., cognitive-behavioral), for countering damaging memes and their replication are thought of, as are probabilities for memetic prevention innovations. With attribute intensity and accessibility, the author:
- Outlines the jobs of genes and memes within the evolution of the human brain.
- Elucidates the production, garage, and evolution of memes inside person brains.
- Examines tradition as a service and provider of memes to the individual.
- Examines the trade of memes among the person and surrounding culture.
- Proposes psychological healthiness as a democracy of memes inside of person brains.
- Provides particular examples of gene x meme interactions which may lead to nervousness, melancholy, and different disorders.
- Proposes a multiaxial gene x meme version for diagnosing psychological illness.
- Details broad-spectrum and particular meme-oriented therapy strategies.
- Identifies components of meme-based prevention for at-risk children.
- Defines particular syndromes when it comes to memetic indicators, genetic/memetic improvement, and meme-based therapy.
For psychiatrists, psychologists, sociologists, physicians, clinical scholars, and graduate scholars attracted to tradition and psychological healthiness and disorder, Genes, Memes, tradition, and psychological Illness will improve their theoretical wisdom and day-by-day perform in addition to stimulate new dialogue on probably the most enduring matters of their fields.
Read Online or Download Genes, Memes, Culture, and Mental Illness: Toward an Integrative Model PDF
Similar mental illness books
Psychiatry and Philosophy of technological know-how explores conceptual matters in psychiatry from the point of view of analytic philosophy of technological know-how. via an exam of these positive factors of psychiatry that distinguish it from different sciences - for instance, its contested material, its specific modes of clarification, its a number of diversified theoretical frameworks, and its learn hyperlinks with immense company - Rachel Cooper explores a number of the many conceptual, metaphysical and epistemological matters that come up in psychiatry.
The indications of borderline character illness (BPD) contain critical temper shifts, unfounded accusations and wildly irrelevant screens of anger, a number self-destructive behaviors, and frantic efforts to prevent abandonment. For the buddies and households of individuals with BPD, The cease strolling on Eggshells Workbook helps and reinforces the tips in its companion publication cease jogging on Eggshells.
Finally, long-awaited solutions to the questions you’ve been asking. support for annoyed ADHD sufferers and their households. (As good as people with autism, PDD, Asperger’s syndrome, and different similar stipulations. ) awareness deficit/hyperactive sickness (ADHD) is without doubt one of the so much quickly growing to be diagnoses of our new release.
Slicing, burning, branding, and bone-breaking are all kinds of self-injury, or the planned, non-suicidal destruction of one’s personal physique tissue, a tradition that emerged from obscurity within the Nineteen Nineties and unfold dramatically as a standard habit between young people. lengthy thought of a suicidal gesture, The smooth lower argues as a substitute that self-injury is usually a coping mechanism, a kind of teen angst, an expression of workforce club, and one of those uprising, changing insufferable emotional ache into workable actual ache.
- Beyond the Therapeutic Relationship: Behavioral, Biological, and Cognitive Foundations of Psychotherapy
- Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder (Revised Edition)
- Managing Managed Care: Psychotherapy and Medication Management in the Modern Era
- Voices of Bipolar Disorder: The Healing Companion: Stories for Courage, Comfort and Strength
- Personality and Psychopathology
- Using the creative arts in therapy and healthcare : a practical introduction
Extra resources for Genes, Memes, Culture, and Mental Illness: Toward an Integrative Model
3 Enculturation and Memes . . . . 4 Memes for Being Ill . . . . . References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25 26 26 26 27 In the previous two chapters, we discussed a new model of mental illness based on gene × meme interaction. We visualized the individual organism as being in a petri dish surrounded by a medium of molecules representing memes.
Generally, stress results in retraction and simplification of dendrites. In memetic terms, stress memes tend to disconnect incoming memes from existing memes (memories). Puberty seems to be a particularly vulnerable period for the effect of stress on the brain. Stress in peripubertal rats resulted in a stunting of growth in parts of the hippocampus and a sustained down-regulation of the hippocampal glucocorticoid receptor (GR) gene expression, resulting in deficits in the shut-off of the HPA activation.
2007), Unterberger et al. (2006), Weaver (2007), and Weaver et al. (2007) studied the effects of different maternal behavior in rats. Maternal behavior in rats affects the neural systems that tonically inhibit corticotrophin-releasing factor (CRF) synthesis and release in the hypothalamus and amygdala, which in turn activate central norepinephrine in response to stress. Glucocorticoids initiate tonic negative feedback inhibition over CRF synthesis and release and thus dampen HPA responses to stress.